Sample Test Questions
Jesus taught us that He is the __________ of life.
- Bread (correct answer)
How did God save us from sin?
- He made sin okay
- He took away our ability to sin
- He let us give Him sacrifices
- He sent His Son into the world (correct answer)
What is the Act of Contrition?
- A prayer before Communion
- A prayer where we thank God for blessing us
- A prayer where we tell God we are sorry for our sins (correct answer)
- A wedding song
The friendship we have with those in heaven and in purgatory is called the _____________ of saints.
- Communion (correct answer)
What do we call the Church?
- The Head of Christ
- The Wall of Christ
- The Body of Christ (correct answer)
- The Keys of Christ
Failing to do the right thing is a sin of ____.
- Omission (correct answer)
What is a result of Baptism?
- We are cleansed from sin
- We become a member of the Church
- We become a child of God
- All of these (correct answer)
In what kind of prayer do we ask God for good things?
- Prayer of Praise
- Blessing and adoration
- Prayer of Thanksgiving
- Prayer of Petition (correct answer)
What are the beatitudes?
- Rules on how to avoid sin
- Part of Jesus’ teaching on how to be perfectly happy (correct answer)
- The 10 greatest saints who ever lived
- Everything needed to celebrate Mass
In the fall, Adam and Eve ate from ____.
- The Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil (correct answer)
- The Tree of Power
- The Tree of Courage
- The Tree of Life
After death, those in friendship with God will _________.
- Return to earth in new bodies
- Live forever in heaven (correct answer)
- Become angels
- All of these
Which is a symbol of Baptism?
- Water (correct answer)
What is a Sacrament?
- The chalice used to hold the Eucharist
- A spontaneous miracle
- A symbolic ritual with no real power
- A visible sign of God’s divine life (correct answer)
What is Apostolic Succession?
- The authority of the Apostles passed down to the bishops (correct answer)
- The way Jesus chose the Twelve Apostles
- The process of selecting a new pope
- The success of the Apostles in converting people to Christianity
Which should we do during Advent?
- Have an Easter egg hunt
- Get ready for Jesus to come (correct answer)
- Get lots of presents
- None of the these
The liturgical year begins with what Church season?
- Advent (correct answer)
- Ordinary Time
What is a virtue?
- A habit of doing the right thing (correct answer)
- Doing the right thing, even if not consistently
- A gift of the Holy Spirit
- A feeling or urge to do good
What are the three conditions for a sin to be a mortal sin?
- Grave matter, full knowledge, and complete consent (correct answer)
- Grave matter, incomplete knowledge, and uninformed conscience
- Full knowledge, lack of guilt, and evil intention
- Guilty feelings, sadness, and fear
What is conscience?
- God’s voice in our hearts (correct answer)
- Moral feelings which form to support cultural customs
- The source of the moral law for every individual
- The urge for self-preservation
Which is a reason a person should not receive communion at Mass?
- They have committed venial sins
- They have unconfessed mortal sins (correct answer)
- The have fasted for an hour beforehand
- They felt distracted during the homily
Who knows when the Last Judgement will occur?
- The pope
- The angels
- God the Father (correct answer)
- None of these
Which book of the Bible includes the bread of life discourse?
- The Gospel of Mark
- The Gospel of John (correct answer)
Which is the best summary of Jesus’ Great Commandments?
- Love your authentic self fully and love your neighbor as yourself
- Love God, and love your neighbor as yourself (correct answer)
- Love God and love yourself as made in God’s image
- Rejoice and be glad
What is Faith?
- A grace that enables us to believe in what God has revealed to us (correct answer)
- Strict adherence to the 10 commandments
- A willingness to set aside reason because our religion requires it
- A complete understanding of Sacred Scripture
Whom did God promise an everlasting throne?
- David (correct answer)
At what event did Mary give her fiat?
- The Annunciation (correct answer)
- The Visitation
- The Nativity
- The Finding in the Temple
Which event gives us hope for our own entrance into Heaven?
- The Assumption (correct answer)
- The Annunciation
- The Transfiguration
- The flight in Egypt
Which of the following BEST describes a sacrament?
- An external representation of a visible reality
- An internal transformation of the essential substance of a holy thing
- An outward visible sign instituted by Christ that effects what it signifies (correct answer)
- An existential reality effected by transubstantiation
Which best describes how the Gifts of the Holy Spirit affect us?
- They firmly establish our ability to define right and wrong
- They sharpen our intellect
- They preserve us from future sins as long as we remain in a state of grace
- They make us docile to the Holy Spirit’s promptings (correct answer)
What can we infer from knowing that human beings have a social nature?
- Private property is sinful
- People must mutually serve one another (correct answer)
- Christian morality must be limited to the individual
- The family is a societal or social construct
The organizing principle of the Nicene Creed is:
- The Persons of the Trinity (correct answer)
- The Seven Sacraments
- The Lord’s Prayer
- The life of Jesus
What do we call a meeting of the world’s bishops?
- A senate
- A symposium
- A synod (correct answer)
- A society
The way Jesus’ Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity are present in the Eucharist is known as:
- Perfect Contrition
- Hypostatic Union
- Real Presence (correct answer)
Teachers will receive a percentage-correct score, and be able to see how their score compared to their grade-level colleagues.
The way Jesus’ Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity are present in the Eucharist is known as:
- Perfect Contrition
- Hypostatic union
- Real Presence (correct answer)
- Jesus’ Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity are symbolically in the Eucharist
What are the Gospels of Matthew, Mark, and Luke collectively known as?
- The Gnostic Gospels
- The Three Brothers
- The Synoptic Gospels (correct answer)
- The Acts of the Apostles
“Efficacious signs of grace instituted by Christ and entrusted to the Church by which divine life is dispensed to us” is the definition given by the Catechism of the Catholic Church for what?
- A revelation
- A virtue
- A commandment
- A Sacrament (correct answer)